1. Merle Travis Music Center - (37° 14' 12.6" N, 87° 8' 54.1" W) - This new Performing Arts Center seats over 300 in an acoustically designed music venue with comfortable seating and terrific sound system. Home to many thumbpicking concerts and events including; Merle Travis Birthday, International Thumbpicking Contest and The National Thumb Pickers Hall of Fame Induction Ceremonies. Adjacent to the Music Center is Paradise Park, a wooded area with facilities to accommodate guitar events including a picking stage, Merle Travis' relocated house, a concession stand and restrooms.
2. Merle Travis Memorial Gravesite - (37° 12' 12.0" N, 87° 4' 48.7" W) - Located in Ebenezer, Ky adjacent to the Ebenezer Missionary Baptist Church is a beautiful stone memorial to Merle Travis at the site of his cremated ashes.
3. Merle Travis Boyhood Home Site - (37° 5' 9.6" N, 87° 5' 45.5" W) - Rosewood is where Merle grew up and the house has been moved to Paradise Park adjacent to the Merle Travis Music Center.
4. Mose Rager's Home - (37° 13' 4.6" N, 87 2' 57.1" W) - Mose Rager was a thumbpicking barber in Drakesboro and it is said you could get a haircut or a song there at any time. Mose played on the Grand Ol Opry and essentially taught Merle the art of Thumbpicking in Drakesboro.
5. Home of the Legends - (37° 13' 1.2" N, 87° 2' 59.3" W) - Drakesboro is the center of several of the thumbpickers leading up to Merle including Mose Rager, Ike Everly, Kennedy Jones, Amos Johnson. The City renamed its streets for all of the thumbpickers in the area. There is a Home of the Legends guitar fountain just across the street from Drakesboro City Hall where thumbpickers from all over get together and pick on every second Saturday for the "Home of the Legends Jamboree".
6. Tommy Flint -(37° 4' 25.9" N, 86° 59' 46.1" W) - Merle's nephew, Tommy, grew up in Dunmor, KY. Tommy learned the Travis style growing up in Muhlenberg County and is author of several Mel Bay guitar instruction books and tapes.
7. Ike Everly - (37° 17' 46.2" N, 87° 7' 21.5" W) - Ike was the father of the The Everly Brothers and a fine thumbpicker who played with Merle. They were from the Ebenezer area and Central City.
8. Paradise, KY. - (37° 16' 12.5" N, 86° 59' 4.2" W ) - John Prine wrote his famous song about Muhlenberg County and describes the loss of his grandfather's hometown of Paradise to the mining and energy industry. The small community of Paradise was located on the banks of the Green River near the current site of the TVA Paradise Fossil Fuel Power Plant and all of the properties were purchased and mined.
9. Music on the Square (37° 12' 2.0" N, 87° 10' 42.1" W) - in downtown Greenville is a free concert series held at the grounds around the Courthouse. Go to their site HERE for information on the performers and the dates for the shows. For more information on points of interest in Greenville including Hotels and restaurants. click HERE.
10. Muhlenberg County Music and History Museum (37° 17' 45.6" N, 87° 7' 35.1" W) - Located at 208 N 1st Street in the Central City Tourism building, the museum includes artifacts and photos from Muhlenberg County's rich heritage including Dave Rich, Spider Rich, James Best, Billy Harlan, Jim Walker, John Prine, and the pickers: Merle Travis, Mose Rager, Kennedy Jones, Ike Everly and the Everly Brothers, to whom an entire room is dedicated. There is a working 1950s era jukebox that plays music from artists with area roots and more.
A. There are 3 hotels located near one another at Exit 58 off the Western Kentucky Parkway in Central City. They are:
Super 8 - They built a picking outdoor deck and a picking room for our thumbpicking parties. Call (270) 757-1700. Super 8, 635 South 2nd St, Central City, KY 42330
Days Inn - Recently rebuilt from the ground up. Call (270) 754-1222. Days Inn, 640 South 2nd Street, Central City, KY 42330
Best Western Call (270) 757-0222. Best Western Plus Venture Inn, 627 S 2nd St, Central City, KY.
B. The Convention Center Inn is the nearest to Paradise Park and the Merle Travis Music Center. It has a large ballroom that is often available for pickers to use as a picking circle. Call 1-800-457-6318 for reservations. Convention Center Inn, 2011 W. Everly Brother's Blvd.,Powderly, KY 42367
Download a printable 3 Fold PDF version of the map and notes - Click Here
Return to Kentucky Thumbpickers Home Page
KENTUCKY MUSIC HERITAGE MAP
Return to Kentucky Thumbpickers Home Page